Stressed, relocated, and scared WHILE laying an egg?!?!

pemphredo

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
Aransas Pass texas
I got a new hen. She is a hen who has been laying eggs for some time. I got her yesterday. She was removed from the nesting box when I got her. Since coming to my house well she has been obviously relocated and stressed. She was in the middle of laying an egg I am guessing since she was in the nesting box. Well she has been in and out of our nesting box. She is hardly eating or drinking. She is panting. Her butt area is like pulsating as if she is about to lay an egg. She will close her eyes and make this like purring sound too. I got another hen again pulled from a nesting box. I was told it was the only way the lady knew for sure they were hens since I was returning 2 roosters. Well the other one laid her egg just hours after she got here. I am worried about the other one though. Do you think she is just too stressed? Will she get egg bound? Will she lay the eggs soon? What should I do?

even though no one cared to reply for help or advice I will go ahead and update. She laid 2 eggs last night. ones shell we REAL thin and was broken. None of the chickens ate it and the yolk wasn't broken so I am guessing she stepped on it or maybe when it came out it was the first out and the second out landed on it. IDK either way she is fine now.... not that anyone cared....

Last edited:
I'm very sorry no one replied to your post, if you look at the counts on others posts you'll notice the amount of views are always much larger than the number of replies given. That being said, I'm glad your hen was able to move the eggs out on her own. Perhaps what happened is when she was removed from the nest box she decided to hold that egg in. Then, when she was moved to your place, she kept on holding it and it got stuck (or maybe it broke inside her while travelling, who knows). Anyway, when I think I have a girl whos having trouble moving eggs out, I bring her inside and stick her in my bath tub (which is filled with enough warm water to cover her vent), then I massage her abdomen to help move the egg down. Usually this is all it takes, and I've had a few eggs laid in the tub. If it doesn't work, I grab some olive oil and a latex glove and manually remove the egg with a finger. Hopefully this just happened because she was stressed from the move, but if you should ever have to deal with it again I hope my advice helps. That is, if you ever come back to read it......good luck.

even though no one cared to reply for help or advice I will go ahead and update. She laid 2 eggs last night. ones shell we REAL thin and was broken. None of the chickens ate it and the yolk wasn't broken so I am guessing she stepped on it or maybe when it came out it was the first out and the second out landed on it. IDK either way she is fine now.... not that anyone cared....

I'm sure plenty of people cared--but the people who read the post probably didn't know what to do any more than you did. Sometimes it's better that people not speculate and give seat-of-the-pants guesses and choose to say nothing at all.

If I had to guess, I'd say that people had no idea what your post was really about. If you'd titled it something like "Help, will my hen become eggbound?" Then people who know something about eggbound hens would probably have responded.

Thank you, we are having the same problem right now. But our hen was scared while she was laying. Now I am worried that it might get stuck, there is a bad storm moving in right now and the cold weather will be right behind it. I have been told to not bring our chicken in the house anymore because there is no way to keep our house at a good temp for them (our ac unit also has our house at a very low humidity-and we lost several chicks before whe were told that humidity control was probly our problem and to not bring them back inside). Any ways our hen seems to be ok and eating well and moving around ok, even though she did not lay her egg (which woulda been her first) should I be worried or should I be doing anything for her?

Back
Top Bottom